Top Review by curiousngeorge
Everyone enjoyed this dish. The cake was a bit dense and not too sweet, so the icing is a must. It is a little lower on the fat content than some of the other carrot cake recipes, esp if you substitute wherever possible (like with lowfat cream cheese). I didn't have a "10 by 4 inch tube pan" so I used an 9 by 13 inch pan and it filled out. It cooked for 45 minutes and that was plenty. Thanks for the recipe!
- 3 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, Ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb carrot
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons lemons, rind of, Grated
- 2 tablespoons orange rind, Grated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 cup walnuts, Chopped
- 1 cup seedless raisin
Directions See How It's Made
- CREAM CHEESE GLAZE 8 oz Cream cheese, softened 1 Tbsp Lemon juice 1 tsp Grated lemon peel 1 1/2 cup Confectioners sugar 1/2 cup Coarsely chopped walnuts This is billed as the richest carrot cake recipe ever.
- Lightly grease and flour a 10-by-4-inch tube pan.
- Sift flour with baking powder, soda, cinnamon and salt; set aside. Wash and pare carrots; grate on medi um grater or use coarse blade of food processor.
- Should measure 4 cups.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In large bowl of mixer, at high speed, beat butter and brown and granulated sugars, occasionally scraping side of bowl with rubber scraper, until light and fluffy-about 4 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time; beat well after each addition until smooth and light. In measuring cup, combine lemon and orange peels and juices.
- At low speed, beat in flour mixture (in fourths), alternately with lemon-orange mixture (in thirds), beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat just until smooth-about 1 minute. With wooden spoon, stir in grated carrot, nuts and raisins; mix well.
- Turn into the prepared tube pan; spread evenly.
- Bake 60 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack 20 minutes, to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, make cream-cheese glaze: In medium bowl, combine cream cheese, lemon juice, lemon peel and confectioners' sugar.
- With portable electri c mixer at high speed, beat mixture until smooth.
- Set aside. Gently loosen edge of cake with spatula.
- Turn out of pan onto rack.
- Spread glaze over top of the warm cake, letting it run down side of cake. Carefully remove cake to cake platter.
- Sprinkle chopped walnuts around top edge of cake. Serves 12.