1/1 Photo of Carrot-Thyme Timbales
1 hr 30 mins
Chef Kate's Note:
These little beauties look gorgeous on a plate and are a great accompaniment to grilled or roasted fish or meat. They are even better when the carrots and the thyme come from one of Maryland's or Virginia's rganic farms.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, plus extra
- unsalted butter, for greasing baking dishes
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 lb carrot, peeled and thinly sliced (about 7 medium)
- 1 large garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped fresh
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1Heat the oven to 325 degrees.
- 2Butter 4 (6-ounce) custard cups or ramekins.
- 3Heat 1 tablespoon butter and the oil in a medium saucepan.
- 4Add the carrots, garlic, thyme and salt and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- 5Add one-half cup water, cover the pan, reduce the meat to medium-low and cook until the carrots are soft, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool slightly.
- 6Remove 12 carrot slices and arrange 3 over the bottom of each custard cup or ramekin (you can cut them in half to make them fit).
- 7Combine the remaining carrots in a blender with the cream and purée until completely smooth.
- 8Season with pepper to taste.
- 9Add the egg and egg yolk and process until smooth. Divide among the cups.
- 10Place the ramekins in a larger baking dish in the oven and pour in boiling water to come halfway up the sides.
- 11Bake 1 hour.
- 12Remove from the oven and let stand 5 minutes.
- 13Run a small spatula around the rim of each and turn out each onto plates to serve, sliced-carrots side up.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carrot-Thyme Timbales
Serving Size: 1 (168 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 237.2
- Calories from Fat 178
- Total Fat 19.8 g
- Saturated Fat 10.0 g
- Cholesterol 148.4 mg
- Sodium 400.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 3.9 g