Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Instead of using the bread machine, just cook in your oven.
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup rye flour
- 2 1⁄4 cups bread flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Place the ingredients in the bread machine pan in the order suggested by the manufacturer.
- Select Basic Bread setting, and then press Start.
- Allow the loaf to cool before slicing.
I tried this recipe without a bread machine, and am not rating because I had to increase the flour by about 2 cups, which I imagine would mean that my bread is quite different from what you would get from a bread machine. I don't think my carrots were particularly watery. The cornmeal I used was finely ground (marked corn flour - this is not cornstarch), and I used coarse rye meal. The dough rose well, but the bread didn't rise much in the oven. It's tender and rather (but not too) chewy.