Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Martha Stewart. For those of us who don't like nuts:) Really cute little cake, perfect for when you don't have many people to serve!
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan (spooned and leveled)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup packed grated carrot (from about 2 carrots)
- 6 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 5-by-9-inch (6-cup) loaf pan.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy; beat in eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat in carrots. With mixer on low, gradually add flour mixture; beat just until combined.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan; bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool in pan 5 minutes. Turn cake out onto a wire rack, and let cool completely.
- Make frosting: Using mixer, beat cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla until fluffy. Frost top of cooled cake.