Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
These fast and easy to make muffins are chock full of flavor. You can make these in miniature, giant, or standard size. This recipe can go either way. Tiny muffins bake quickly and have lots of browned edges that appeal to the “crunchers” in the crowd, but you have to be careful not to overbake them or they can be dry. Giant muffins take a bit longer to bake but are satisfyingly moist and crumbly. I really like these.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground fresh nutmeg
- 2 cups shredded fresh carrots
- 1 tart apple, peeled, cored, and shredded (such as Granny smith)
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 chopped pecans or 1⁄2 walnuts
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup corn oil or 1⁄2 cup other vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Grease 12 regular muffin cups, 36 miniature muffins cups, or 6 giant muffin cups, or line them with paper baking cups.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, carrot, apple, raisins, and pecans until all ingredients are well mixed.
- I don’t mix with a spoon. I use my hands, by lifting and sifting through my fingers until combined. I find mixing with a spoon makes the dough too heavy to mix with the liquid ingredients.
- In another bowl, combine the eggs, oil, and vanilla. Stir into the flour mixture only until blended. Fill the prepared muffin cups three quarters full with the batter. For regular muffins I kept filling them to the top until I used up all the batter and they came out great.
- Bake until a wooden skewer inserted in the center of the muffins comes out clean. It may take longer then time specified. For regular muffins, bake 20 to 25 minutes; for miniature muffins, bake 15 to 20 minutes; for giant muffins, bake 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from pans and serve warm or cool on a wire rack.
- Makes 12 regular muffins, 6 giant muffins, or 36 miniature muffins.
- The Great Holiday Baking Book B. Ojakangas.