Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a very old Le Leche League recipe from an old friend Sylvia. Simply the best carrot spice cake I have ever baked or eaten that includes my DH's carrot cake! It is so easy to make this dense rich tasting cake!
- 3 cups carrots (grated)
- 2 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 2 2⁄3 cups water
- 2 cups raisins
- 1⁄2 cup butter (or margarine)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons cloves
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 3 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup nuts (chopped)
- A well greased and floured bunt pan ready for cake batter.
- First 8 ingredients into a pot bring to boil then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cool mixture and set aside.
- Next 5 ingredients sift and dump into the cooled mixture blend together.
- Pour ingredients into bunt pan.
- Into the oven @ 375 degree's for 50 minutes.
- Make an icing of icing sugar and fresh lemon to taste and drizzle over cake while warm.
I didn´t follow the recipe exactly - just mixed all the ingredients. And it turned out great - very moist, not too sweet, the spices give it an extra kick. A keeper!