This cake is moist and not-too-sweet. It bakes in a 9-inch pan, so it is perfect for smaller group gatherings. The sprinkling of nuts and brown sugar provides a nice accent.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 3 carrots, grated
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar, firmly packed
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease and flour 9-inch round pan.
- Mix together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.
- Beat together butter and sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. At low speed, alternately beat flour mixture and milk into butter mixture. Stir in carrots and nuts. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake cake until top springs back when lightly touched, about 40 minutes. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Turn cake out onto rack to cool completely.
- To prepare icing, beat together butter and cream cheese at medium speed until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Beat in confectioner's sugar until well blended.
- To prepare topping, mix together nuts and brown sugar.
- Place cake on serving plate. Spread icing over top and sides. Sprinkle with nut mixture.