Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Pre-peeled baby carrots make this soup super-easy. For a dramatic garnish, place a whole star anise atop each serving. Bon Appétit December 2005
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 6 large fresh thyme sprigs
- 5 whole star anise, divided
- 2 small bay leaves
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 2 (1 lb) bagspeeled baby carrots
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- Melt butter in large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, thyme, 3 star anise (SEE NOTE BELOW), bay leaves, and garlic.
- Sauté until onion softens, about 5 minutes.
- Add carrots and broth.
- Bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until carrots are very tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove and discard thyme sprigs, star anise, and bay leaves.
- Working in small batches, puree soup in blender until very smooth; return to same pot.
- Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead.
- Cool slightly, cover, and chill.
- Rewarm over low heat before continuing.
- Finely grind remaining star anise in spice mill or coffee grinder.
- Ladle soup into bowls.
- Sprinkle with ground star anise.
- NOTE: Brown, star-shaped seedpods; available at some supermarkets, Asian markets, and specialty foods stores.