Recipe by Umberle
I pulled this from epicurious and modified it slightly. Works well to make it a day ahead just store the soup separate from the pesto. The pesto is also good on pasta and chicken.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 large onions, chopped coarsely
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons dill seeds
- 8 cups vegetable broth or 8 cups vegetable bouillon
- 2 cups packed coarsely chopped fresh dill
- 4 tablespoons pine nuts
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add carrots, onion and dill seeds and cook until onion tender (about 10 minutes).
- Add broth and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until carrots are very tender (about 35 minutes).
- Transfer soup to blender in batches and puree or use an immersion blender in the pot. Thin with more broth if desired. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Combine fresh dill and pine nuts in processor and chop finely using pulses. With processor running, slowly add oil and process until well blended. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Rewarm soup. Ladle into bowls. Divided dill pesto among bowls. Using knife, swirl pesto into soup.