1/1 Photo of Carrot Soup With Bacon and Dill Dumplings
1 hr 30 mins
I found this on the Food Network's website under Scandinavian recipes. Looking at the dill and allspice in the dumplings sounds Scandinavian. :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 slices bacon, cut into small squares
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 chicken breast, boneless and skinless (6 oz)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 large potato, peeled, boiled and riced (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (I subbed half & half)
- 1/2 cup fresh dill, minced
- 1Prepare the dumplings: Cook bacon in a skillet over low heat until tender, not crisp. Add onions, salt, and pepper. Cook over low heat until onions are soft, about 7 to 10 minutes. Reserve.
- 2Place chicken in a food processor fitted with the metal blade, along with the allspice, potato and egg. Process until chicken is ground, about 2 minutes. Add the cream and process until mixture is thick and sticky. Stir in the reserved Sauteed onion and bacon, along with the dill. Place mixture in a bowl, cover, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, prepare the soup: Melt butter over medium-low heat in a large stockpot or Dutch oven. Cook onions with salt and pepper until soft, about 5 minutes.
- 4Add the chicken stock and cook over moderate heat, uncovered, about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, finely chop carrots in a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Add carrots to soup. Bring to a boil, return to a simmer, and cook, uncovered, until the carrots are soft, about 10 minutes.
- 5Puree soup in a blender or food processor until smooth. Strain back into pot, pressing with the back of a ladle to extract all the juices. Shape dumplings with 2 oval soup spoons dipped in hot water or with slightly wet hands. They should be ovals or balls, about 1 1/2-inches in diameter. Drop dumplings carefully into simmering soup and cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until they float to the surface. Add milk, bring to a boil and remove from heat. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carrot Soup With Bacon and Dill Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (421 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 481.2
- Calories from Fat 224
- Total Fat 24.9 g
- Saturated Fat 11.8 g
- Cholesterol 126.5 mg
- Sodium 2298.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 11.5 g
- Protein 22.0 g