Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is my fave pureed soup of all time! The toasted sesame seeds are well worth the effort...
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 3 1⁄2 cups chopped peeled carrots
- 1 cup chopped leek (white and pale green parts only)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream (or half&half)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon oriental sesame oil
- 2 cups bread cubes (day old crustless French Bread)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add carrots, leeks, and celery. Cover and cook until vegetables soften slightly, about 10 minutes. Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 25 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Working in batches puree soup in blender until smooth. Return soup to pot. Whisk cream, sour cream and 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil into soup. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper(can be made one day ahead, just cover and chill).
- Melt the remaining 3 tablespoons butter with remaining 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil in large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add bread cubes and saute until golden brown and crispy -- about 4 minutes.
- Bring soup to a simmer over medium heat. Ladle into bowls , mound croutons in centre of each. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and chives and serve.