Recipe by KaffirLime
Refer to recipe for variations.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
An unusual soup, but since I particularly like carrots, it was well worth trying! I made the Carrot & Orange version & enjoyed that combo! I added a bit more OJ, & the texture & consistency was just fine, & the recipe worth making again! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adopted orphans in the current Pick-A-Chef]
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 1⁄2 lbs carrots, sliced thin lengthwise (about 8 medium carrots)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 1⁄4-1 1⁄2 cups milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat butter over medium heat. Add onions and sauté till soft light brown (about 5 mins).
- Stir in wine and carrots and cook till wine evaporates (30 seconds).
- Add the stock, salt, pepper and nutmeg to the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer until carrots are tender (20-25mins).
- Puree the mixture in a blender adding milk until its smooth.
- Return to clean pot to bring to a boil.
- If too thick add some more milk / stock.
- Warm over low heat after refrigeration.
- Pureed Carrot with Ginger Soup: add 1 tbsp finely minced ginger to onions after they have sautéed for 4 minutes Proceed as directed, omitting nutmeg.
- Pureed Curried Carrot Soup: add 1 1/2 tsp of curry powder to the onions after they have sautéed for 4 minutes Proceed as directed, omitting nutmeg.
- Pureed Carrot Soup with Orange: Follow recipe for normal carrot soup, using OIL instead of butter and adding 2 tsp of minced orange zest to the onions after they have sautéed for 4 minutes Proceed as directed, stirring in 2 tbsp of orange juice when adjusting seasoning.