A simple carrot soup, this is a yummy but healthy comfort food. This recipe is inspired by a really excellent carrot soup I had on a rainy day in a tiny pub in Northwest England six years ago. I dreamed about this soup for years before finally giving it a go myself, and I'm really happy with the results. Serve with brown soda bread and butter to make a meal. Fantastic!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large saucepan, slowly saute onion and garlic in butter until the onions turn translucent and begin to brown. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
- 2Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- 3Add carrots and potato to pot and simmer until tender.
- 4Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Puree soup (vegetables and broth) in a blender or food processor until smooth. This may require multiple batches - though I can fit the whole thing in my blender at once.
- 5Return soup to pan. Add fat free half and half until you have the desired consistency. I like my soup very thick so I don't use too much half and half. Of course, if you like you can certainly go the more decadent route and use full fat half and half.
- 6Salt and pepper to taste. Don't be afraid of the salt - it can really make or break a soup!
- 7Makes 2-3 entree sized servings.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carrot Soup
Serving Size: 1 (549 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 388.5
- Calories from Fat 133
- Total Fat 14.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.3 g
- Cholesterol 32.0 mg
- Sodium 438.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.4 g
- Sugars 17.3 g
- Protein 13.3 g