Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A simple carrot soup, this is a yummy but healthy comfort food. This recipe is inspired by a really excellent carrot soup I had on a rainy day in a tiny pub in Northwest England six years ago. I dreamed about this soup for years before finally giving it a go myself, and I'm really happy with the results. Serve with brown soda bread and butter to make a meal. Fantastic!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 cups fat-free low-sodium chicken broth (or vegetable broth if you prefer)
- 4 -5 cups carrots, chopped
- 1 medium potato, chopped
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup fat-free half-and-half
- In a large saucepan, slowly saute onion and garlic in butter until the onions turn translucent and begin to brown. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Add carrots and potato to pot and simmer until tender.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Puree soup (vegetables and broth) in a blender or food processor until smooth. This may require multiple batches - though I can fit the whole thing in my blender at once.
- Return soup to pan. Add fat free half and half until you have the desired consistency. I like my soup very thick so I don't use too much half and half. Of course, if you like you can certainly go the more decadent route and use full fat half and half.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Don't be afraid of the salt - it can really make or break a soup!
- Makes 2-3 entree sized servings.