Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 50 mins
Caraway seeds add rich flavor to this light, airy tart. Use 1 single Basic Tart Crust dough from my recipe collection.
- 1 lb carrot (about 8 carrots)
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup grated havarti cheese
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
- baby french carrots and micro greens or chervil (to garnish)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Blind bake crust in a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom until golden brown. Set aside.
- Cut peeled carrots into uniform pieces and cook in simmering salted water until tender, about 10 minutes; drain and let cool. In a food processor puree carrots, caraway seeds and salt until very smooth; set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat melt butter and flour together. Whisk in milk and cookm stirring constantly until sauce thickens, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat; add cheese and egg yolks, whisking to combine until cheese is melted. Whisk sauce into carrot puree until well mixed.
- Whip egg whites to stiff peaks. Fold into carrot mixture until there are no egg-white streaks. Gently spread into aked crust.
- Bake until just set in the center, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool slightly, then remove tart ring and use a spatula to slide tart from pan bake onto a serving platter. Garnish with roasted baby carrots and chervil. Serve warm or chilled.
- NOTE: RING REMOVAL: Here's a quick tip for taking off the tart pan ring: Let the tart cool slightly, then set it on an upturned bowl and the ring will fall to the counter.