Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Wonderful, sweet flavored, airy souffle. Great as a side dish - or just to eat by itself! This is easy to make gluten-free as well - just substitute a gluten-free baking mix for the flour.
- 1 lb carrot, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour or 3 tablespoons gluten-free baking mix
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs, large
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F; grease a 2 quart casserole dish (or a souffle dish if you have one).
- Bring 4 quarts of lightly salted water to a boil in a large pot (make sure the pot has room to add the carrots).
- Boil the peeled, chopped carrots until tender (about 15 minutes). Drain the carrots and mash, eliminating any large chunks (think mashed potatoes here).
- Stir wet ingredients (eggs, vanilla, butter) into the hot, mashed carrots.
- Combine flour (or gluten-free baking mix), baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Stir dry mix into carrot mixture, and blend until smooth. I just blend by hand, but a mixer would work fine as well.
- Pour (scrape) carrot mixture into prepared dish.
- Bake for 45 minutes (or until toothpick inserted into middle of souffle comes out clean).
You've GOT to try this. Tastes like dessert and you can tell yourself it's healthy because of all the carrots. Did I mention how gorgeous it is? I whipped it up in the food processor. Seemed to do a great job. The recommended timing was perfect.