Recipe by hudelei
A lower-fat option when you want carrot cake (and feel like grating a lot of carrots!).
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2⁄3 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free fruit puree
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute (2 egg equivalent)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups shredded and peeled carrots
- 3 tablespoons pecans, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- nonstick cooking spray, for pan
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line a 9-inch square pan with foil.
- Coat foil with non-stick cooking spray.
- Whisk both brown and white sugars, baking powder, salt, fruit puree, oil, egg substitute and vanilla until thoroughly blended.
- Stir in flour and carrots; scrape into prepared pan.
- Combine 3 TBsp finely chopped pecans with 2 TBsp brown sugar; sprinkle over top of cake batter.
- Bake 35 minutes or until cake springs back when very lightly pressed in center.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes before lifting cake out by the edges of the foil.
- Cut into squares.