Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
This cake travels well and doesn't have that slightly bitter taste that many carrot cakes have.
- 1 cup shortening (not butter flavored)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup cooked mashed carrot
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Cream the shortening and sugar.
- Beat in egg, carrots and extract until thick and yellow.
- Dump in the remaining ingredients.
- Bake in an 8x8 or 9x9 pan, at 350, until they test done (35-45 minutes).
- Cut in nine pieces (3x3).
The was very easy to do (especially if you remember to do an extra for leftovers when you cook carrot the night before!) Unanimously pronounced delicious by both mums and three year olds at today's play date.