Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
A simple and very delicious little salad or side dish that will compliment most summer menus. This recipe was adapted from the book "Yamuna's Table".
- 3 cups carrots, finely shredded
- 1 quart boiling water
- 1⁄2 serrano chilies or 1⁄2 jalapeno chile, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons cashews or 2 tablespoons almonds or 2 tablespoons peanuts, toasted until golden & finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, finely chopped
- Place the carrots in a colander and pour the boiling water over them.
- Drain well.
- Combine the chili, lime juice, and maple syrup in a bowl and whisk with a fork.
- Add the carrots, nuts and cilantro and toss to mix.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.
This is very flavourful, colourful nice and chewy and really "good"! I had this as an evening snack today(and it's also my first meal of the day). I did leave out the serrano/jalpeno chillies, simply because I dont use them and didnt have them on hand. I guess half a green chilli could be used as a good substitute. Cashewnuts would go best with this, IMHO, though I have to admit that I did not use any nuts as I have been gaining some unwanted pounds of late, and I need to start taking action once again...But, all said and done, this is a nice recipe! I had this as soon as I made it, but I do feel, it would taste alot better chilled. Thank you for sharing. I'm going to be chewing on this instead of biscuits and cookies pretty often;)