Carrot Sambal (Wortel Sambal)
- Remove the seeds from the cardamom pods and grind them into a powder in a spice mill along with the dried chile.
- Place all the ingredients except the vinegar in a 3-quart nonreactive saucepan, bring to a boil, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Add the vinegar, lower the heat, and cook for an additional 30 minutes, or until thick. Be sure to stir well so that the sambal doesn’t stick to the bottom of the saucepan.
- When the sambal is a thick paste, spoon it out of the saucepan into a bowl. Cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Serve chilled with curries and grilled meats.