Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
I created this to complement Spicy BBQ Rubbed Pork Chops (the rub recipe was from Rachel Ray). It pairs nicely with any barbequed meat dish. It's kind of a spin on "Copper Pennies"...one of my favorite cold summer salads...but it's less sweet and a bit more versatile. Serve it as a salsa to top meats or as a cold summer salad...It's even good when heated and served as a side dish.
- 1 lb baby carrots
- 1⁄2 medium red onion
- 1⁄2 medium green bell pepper
- 5 ounces grape tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup light Italian dressing
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook carrots till tender in microwave (about 4-6 minutes).
- Chop red onion and green bell pepper.
- FOR SALSA: Cut carrots into bite-sized pieces (cutting them in half usually does the trick unless you have the fatter baby carrots).
- FOR SALAD OR SIDE DISH: Leave carrots whole.
- Combine marinade ingredients in a medium bowl (use one that has a good fitting lid).
- Toss in the veggies, except the grape tomatoes.
- Now, smash each grape tomato over the bowl (I just give them a quick squeeze or two in the middle using my fingers as I drop them in the bowl).
- FOR SALSA OR SALAD: Cover and refrigerate at least an hour (overnight is even better).
- FOR SIDE DISH: heat in the microwave for about 2-3 minutes.
I made this as a salad/side dish and found this awesome. I love everything about it, especially the grape tomatoes, which I found to be the best kind of tomatoes for this recipe.