Prep 2 hrs 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Morroccan inspired salad that is very tasty. The natural sweetness of the carrots blend really well with the other ingredients. Note that 2 hours refrigeration time is included in the Prep. Time.
- 2 lbs carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 small pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup dates, chopped
- In a medium saucepan, combine the carrots and garlic. Add water to cover by 1 - 2 inches.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the carrots to a bowl.
- Cook the cooking liquid over medium heat to reduce to a 1/2 cup.
- Whisk in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and the lemon juice. Pour the mixture over the carrots.
- Add the cumin, cayenne, cilantro, and parsley. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the dates and cook until the dates are softened. Toss the onion mixture with the carrots. Let cool.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 - 2 hours.