Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
This recipe was found in the 2008 cookbook, Fruit!
Make and share this Carrot, Red Lentil and Orange Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 celery ribs, trimmed, chopped
- 1 lb carrot, peeled, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red lentil, rinsed
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup fresh orange juice (a cup!)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange zest, minced
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 4 teaspoons fresh parsley, chopped
- In a large saucepan heat the oil, then gently fry the onion, bay leaf & celery for 5 minutes to soften them slightly, BUT DO NOT BROWN!
- Add the carrots & cook, stirring for another 2 minutes, until well coated in the onion & celery mixture.
- Stir in the lentils, tomatoes veggie stock, & bring to a boil before turning down the heat, covering & simmering for about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thick & tender.
- Remove from the heat & let stand, covered for 10 minutes, before discarding the bay leaf.
- Stir in the orange juice, the zest & seasoning, then return to the heat & reheat gently until piping hot BUT NOT BOILING!
- To serve, ladel into warmed soup bowls & swirl the surface with a tablespoon of yogurt, then sprinkle a little chopped parsley on top & ENJOY!
My family and I really enjoyed this; it offers a deliciously alternative soup flavour! It was easy to make, too - I even made it fat-free by sauteing in water. It's just fine without the yogurt, too. Thanks for posting!
What a great, surprising recipe! I really liked this. I pureed some for my little ones to hide the veggies and tasted both styles, preferring the non-pureed. I used chicken broth and didnt have an orange to zest, but will add next time. This is a really fun, delicious soup that I look forward to serving to friends. Thanks for the keeper!
Hi Mike! Thanks for your unusual and great recipe. We had a great meal and my family enjoyed it very much. I used celery root and blood oranges for this recipe!