Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
We love these muffins for a quick breakfast with our coffee.(leave topping off and freeze). from Canadian Living magazine
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 236.59 ml grated carrot
- 118.29 ml whole wheat flour
- 118.29 ml raisins
- 59.14 ml packed brown sugar
- 29.58 ml toasted wheat germ
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml cinnamon
- 2.46 ml salt
- 118.29 ml milk
- 59.14 ml molasses
- 59.14 ml butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 125 g package cream cheese
- 29.58 ml icing sugar
- In large bowl, stir together all purpose flour, carrots, whole wheat flour, raisins, sugar, wheat germ, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate bowl, stir together milk, molasses, butter and egg.
- Pour over dry ingredients and stir just until moistened.
- Spoon into 10 greased or paper lined muffin cups, filling three quarters full.
- Bake in centre of 375 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly pressed.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove to rack and let cool completely.
- In small bowl, beat cream cheese with sugar until fluffy, spread over cooled muffins.
I loved the fact that I could throw this all together so quickly and the muffins baked up in just 20 minutes. I did find it took me a bit longer to prepare the recipe than the indicated 10 minutes (I'd allow closer to 15 minutes) but that wasn't a problem because they were so yummy I didn't mind! Not too sweet and a nice combination of spices. I made them without the icing.
I am so glad I tried this recipe. I've been looking for a carrot muffin recipe with less sugar and fat (I also subbed canola oil for butter) and nutritional extras like wheat germ and whole grain flour. The muffins turned out great: moist, sweet, flavorful. They will be a lunchbox staple and morning treat for the whole household. Thanks and good job, Derf!