Recipe by JanuaryBride
Yet another recipe I dreamed up to use my never ending supply of Amish Friendship Starter. I am also always trying to find healthy recipes to send along to school with my preschooler and this one fits the bill! These freeze well, so feel free to eat some today and freeze the rest for later!
- 3⁄4 cup amish starter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup pureed sweet potato (I buy baby food and use it to sneak veggies into my son, you can also use applesauce or pureed carro)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup fiber cereal (crunched up)
- 1⁄2 cup oats
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons splenda artificial sweetener
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour (whole wheat is great, but will make for a more dense muffin)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup shredded carrot (about 1 carrot)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat together wet ingredients (starter through vanilla) until just mixed.
- Add remaining dry ingredients (cereal through baking soda) and stir until just mixed (batter should be a little lumpy).
- Stir in carrots, raisins and nuts but do NOT over-mix.
- Fill greased muffin tins 2/3 full and bake 20 minutes at 375 degrees.
- If not done, cook 5 minutes more and check again.