Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a recipe that's great for providing essential nutrients that children need in a form that they'll eat. Raisins are a good source of iron, a mineral that everyone, especially children, needs. Carrots rich source of vitamin A and beta carotene. There are a couple of ways to dress up this cake. One is by filling and glazing it with melted fruit-juice sweetened preserves, using one-quarter cup per layer. Raspberry or apricot preserves, or orange marmalade would all be good choices. Or, try frosting it with Creamy vanilla Frosting for added flavor and a beautiful appearance.
FOR THE CAKE
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 cups honey
- 1⁄3 cup frozen pineapple juice concentrate (DEFROSTED)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 egg whites, unbeaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated peeled carrots
- 2 (4 ounce) jars carrot baby food
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
CREAMY VANILLA FROSTING
- 1 (32 ounce) carton plain nonfat yogurt, drained to make cheese
- 1⁄2 cup pure maple syrup, plus
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons nonfat dry milk solids
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- FOR THE CAKE: PREHEAT OVEN TO 325 F.
- IN LARGE MIXING BOWL, COMBINE FLOUR, BAKING SODA, CREAM OF TARTAR, CINNAMON AND NUTMEG.
- SET ASIDE IN MEDIUM BOWL, MIX HONE, JUICE CONCENTRATE, VANILLA, 2 UNBEATEN EGG WHITES, GRATED PEELED CARROTS AND CARROT PUREE.
- STIR INTO FLOUR MIXTURE AND MIX UNTIL JUST BLENDED.
- STIR IN RAISINS.
- GENTLY STIR IN 2 LIGHTLY BEATEN EGG WHITES.
- DO NOT OVERMIX.
- SPOON BATTER INTO 2 (9-INCH) ROUND NON-STICK BAKING PANS.
- BAKE AT 325 F.
- FOR 40 TO 45 MINUTES OR UNTIL TOOTHPICK INSERTED IN CENTER COMES OUT CLEAN.
- COOL ON WIRE RACKS FOR 20-30 MINUTES, AND REMOVE CAKES FROM PAN.
- FOR THE FROSTING: IN MEDIUM BOWL, WITH ELECTRIC MIXER, BEAT TOGETHER YOGURT CHEESE, MAPLE SYRUP, MILK SOLIDS AND VANILLA UNTIL WELL BLENDED.
- NOTE: TO FROST 1 (9-INCH) CAKE, REDUCE RECIPE BY HALF, FOR A YIELD OF THREE QUARTER CUP.
- NON-FAT YOGURT CHEESE* You may drain yogurt using any one of several different methods;--use special yogurt cheese funnel designed for this specific purpose that is available in some health food and gourmet stores.
- --uselarge strainer with either cheese cloth or coffee filters.
- Spoon in yogurt, refrigerate and let drain into large bowl or jar.
- --useabove method with drip coffee maker lined with double paper coffee filters.
- Drain for desired time:--12 hours or longer for whipped cream cheese consistency (use for dessert toppings recipes)--24 hours or longer for cream cheese consistency (use for cheese-cake recipes and dessert topping recipes) Traditional carrot cake has 29 grams of fat 40 percent Calories from fat.
- 526 calories per slice.
- Fat Free Carrot Cake has Fat-Free grams of fat Fat Free calories from fat and 269 calories per slice.