Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
A yummy rather different sweet bread that adds some spice to your holiday meals. Recipe can be halved to make just one loaf if desired.
- 2 large carrots, cut up
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- Cook carrots in small amount of water til tender.
- Drain, reserving 1/4 c liquid.
- In food processor or blender, combine carrots, the reserved liquid, orange peel, cinnamon& nutmeg.
- Cover and process til smooth.
- In separate bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda& salt& set aside.
- In mixer bowl, beat together brown sugar and butter til light& fluffy.
- Add eggs& vanilla& beat well.
- Stir in carrot mixture.
- Add flour mixture and mix well.
- Fold in raisins.
- Spoon batter into two greased loaf pans (8x4x2).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool on rack.
We found this recipe very tasty but it was a bit too dry for our liking. Next time I'd double the wet ingredients. Overall, very tasty
We don't like raisens but we love nuts and plenty of them. This was a terrific recipe. I made it in a bundt pan. Received lots of compliments.
This is the first carrot bread that I've made that uses cooked, rather than just grated carrots. The texture was very nice- moist and cakelike. I enjoyed the spicing and the addition of orange zest. I baked mine in a 9x5 pan, since I don't have an 8x4, so it turned out kind of flat but delicious nonetheless. I had some apricots to use up, so I used half chopped dried apricots and half raisins. Nice. Very tender and tasty bread.