Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe comes from Fleischmann's yeast company.
Make and share this Carrot Poppy Seed Bread ( Breadmaker 1 1/2 Lb. Loaf) recipe from Food.com.
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup finely shredded carrot
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup bread flour
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- Measure carefully, placing all ingredients in bread machine pan in the order recommended by manufacturer, adding carrots with milk.
- Select Basic/White cycle.
- Use Medium crust color.
- Adjust dough consistency, if needed.
- Check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; it should form a soft, smooth ball around the blade.
- If dough is too stiff or dry, add additional liquid, 1 teaspoon at a time, until dough is of the right consistency.
- If dough is too soft or sticky, add additional bread flour, 1 teaspoon at a time.
- Remove baked bread from pan and cool on wire rack.
This is a very nice bread. The carrot adds just a hint of sweetness to it. I think various herbs could be added also, for variations (or different seeds, i.e caraway or sunflower) I let my machine do the hard work, and then did the rises and baking by hand. Baked at 350F for 30 minutes. Thanks for a very versatile recipe that will be made again! Went great with soup. UPDATE: Also made great toast the next day for breakfast!