Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
This is a healthier version of plum pudding which I believe I originally found in an Adelle Davis book. It is a part of my Christmas tradition which I love.
for plum pudding
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups raisins
- 1 1⁄2 cups walnuts, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups potatoes, grated raw
for hard sauce
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla (or rum or brandy)
- Combine all dry ingredients in bowl.
- Toss raisins and walnuts into flour mixture.
- Break eggs into a large bowl.
- Beat well.
- Gradually add melted butter, continueing to beat.
- Stir in flour mixture, grated carrots, and grated potatoes.
- Pour into well greased 6 cup pudding mold or large heat-proof bowl.
- Cover tightly with a double layer of foil, securing with a string.
- Place on wire rack in the bottom of a deep pot or canning kettle.
- Add boiling water to the pot until it reaches half way up the side of the mold.
- Steam over low heat for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, until tester inserted into pudding comes out clean and top of pudding is firm to the touch.
- Check water level in pot occasionally, adding more boiling water if needed.
- Remove foil from mold.
- Let pudding rest in pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
- When completely cool, wrap in foil and store in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks or in freezer.
- If frozen, let thaw before heating.
- To reheat, return pudding to mold, cover and steam for about 1 hour or until heated through.
- Serve warm with hard sauce.
- For hard sauce:.
- Thoroughly Cream butter and sifted confectioners sugar together.
- Add 1-2 teaspoons vanilla (or rum or brandy) and beat well.
- Spread in 8x8" pan and place in refrigerator to harden.
- Cut into small squares to serve on warm slices of the pudding.
- The hard sauce could also be chilled in individual butter molds; or a bowl to be spooned onto the pudding in lumps.
- Note: For a dramatic entrance, just before serving, I soak a few sugar cubes in almond extract. Then I place them together on top the pudding, light them with a match, turn out all the lights, and deliver the flaming pudding to the table (usually accompanied by a Happy Birthday song to Jesus).
A very easy plum pudding recipe. Smells great. One warning. Leave lots of head space in jar which I Iused. I heard a bang in the canner and the lid blew right off . I had to take them all out and redistribute the puddings. Over an inch.... That thankfully worked and don't boil them too hard.