If desired you may omit the buttermilk glaze and frost with your favorite cream cheese frosting, see my Kittencal's Best Cream Cheese Frosting (Extra Creamy Option) ---- prep time includes making the buttermilk glaze.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons maple extract (or use 1 tablespoon vanilla extract)
- 3 large carrots, peeled and grated (2 cups, does not have to be exactly 2 cups!)
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped walnuts
- 3⁄4 cup cups raisins (optional)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a bowl beat eggs with sugar, oil, buttermilk and vanilla for about 5 minutes (beat for 5 minutes, no less!).
- In another bowl mix together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; add to the egg mixture beating at low speed until blended.
- Fold in carrots, drained pineapple, raisins (if using) and walnuts; mix with wooden spoon until combined.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- Bake for about 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cover the pan loosley with foil to prevent excess browning.
- Return to oven and bake for another 12-13 minutes more, or until the cake tests done.
- To make the buttermilk glaze; in a heavy saucepan bring the sugar, baking soda, butter, buttermilk and corn syrup to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Cook for about 4 minutes or until the mixture is golden brown.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Drizzle the buttermilk mixture glaze over the cake.
- Cool completely in the pan then frost with cream cheese icing.