2 hrs 20 mins
1 hr 30 mins
I came into this recipe sometime in the 70s, during a brief vegetarian spell. I'm carniverous again, but not adamently so, I still prefer vegetables. This pie is delicious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Whole Wheat Pastry
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chilled butter, cut into small bits
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 2 -4 tablespoons ice water
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar or 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1For pastry: Combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Cut in butter and shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal. Beat 2 tblsps ice water, egg and vinegar to blend. Mix into flour just until dough comes together into a ball. If dough seems too dry, add up to 2 tblsps more water, a few drops at a time. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- 2For filling: Melt 4 tblsps butter in small skillet over low heat. Add onion, cover and cook gently until soft, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Remove from skillet.
- 3Melt remaining 3 tblsps butter in same skillet over low heat. Add carrots, increase heat to high and stir 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add water, cover and cook until carrots are tender and liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes (if carrots are tender and there is still liquid, drain).
- 4Puree onions and carrots in processor with eggs, yolks, salt, allspice and pepper until smooth. Turn into bowl and refrigerate 1 hour.
- 5To assemble: Preheat oven to 340°F Grease 5 ½ x 9 ½ inch loaf pan (or 4 ½ x 11 inches).
- 6Roll dough out on lightly-floured surface to thickness of ¼ inch. Cut out 12 x 16 inch rectangle. Drape dough loosely in pan. Press into corners gently with fingers. Trim dough flush with top of pan. Roll scraps out to ¼ inch thick. Cut out rectangle large enough to cover top of pan.
- 7Stir rice and cheese into carrot mixture. Spoon into prepared pan. Brush edge of crust with glaze. Cover with dough, pressing to seal. Roll remaining scraps out. Cut out dough decorations and stick them on with the egg glaze. Brush entire pie with glaze. Make 6 steam vents. Bake until lightly-browned, about 1 ½ hours. Cool in pan. Remove carefully. Serve at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carrot Pie
Serving Size: 1 (228 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 539.8
- Calories from Fat 313
- Total Fat 34.8 g
- Saturated Fat 19.5 g
- Cholesterol 210.8 mg
- Sodium 929.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 14.8 g