Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
Published in Better Homes, and contributed by Donna Romo, this recipe is a winner. It is more like a cross between a quiche and a meat pie and it produces a lovely one dish meal. You have to make the crust yourself, but it is a real easy and comes together without much work. I definite must try recipe!
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- 2 -3 tablespoons cold water
- 8 ounces bulk pork sausage
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (4 ounce) candiced green chili peppers, undrained
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F For Crust: place the 11/4 cups flour in a medium bowl. Using pastry blender, cut in cream cheese and butter until pieces are pea size. Stir in the egg. Stir enough of the water to moisten mixture. Shape dough into ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12 inch circle. Transfer to a 9 inch deep dish pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry and crimp edge; set aside.
- For filling: In a large skillet cook, sausage, carrot, broccoli, onion, pepper and garlic until sausage is brown. Drain off fat. Place sausage mixture in a large bowl, stir in eggs, soup, cheddar cheese, chilie peppers, the 3 tablespoons of flour, Worcestershire sauce, cumin, black pepper.
- Spoon filling into pastry lined pie plate, spreading evenly. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.