Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A carotty-spice cake with a nutty crunch.
- 650.62 ml all-purpose flour
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 9.85 ml ground cinnamon
- 2.46 ml ground ginger
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml grated nutmeg
- 59.14 ml ground allspice
- 1.23 ml ground cloves
- 236.59 ml milk
- 14.79 ml vanilla extract
- 226.79 g butter, at room temperature
- 59.14 ml packed brown sugar
- 354.88 ml granulated sugar
- 5 extra-large eggs, separated,whites at room temperature
- 177.44 ml finely chopped pecans (or walnuts)
- 414.03 ml finely shredded carrots
- icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Butter and flour a bundt pan.
- Sift 2 ¾ cup flour, baking powder and all the spices into a bowl.
- Combine milk and vanilla in a separate bowl.
- Beat butter on high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add sugar in 2 additions, beating 2 minutes between each addition.
- Add brown sugar; beat a further 2 minutes.
- Add 3 of the yolks; beat another 2 minutes.
- Add remaining 2 yolks and 3 of the whites; beat 4 minutes.
- On low speed, beat in flour mixture in 3 additions and milk mixture in 2, beginning and ending with flour.
- Stir in carrots and pecans.
- Beat remaining 2 whites until foamy, add pinch of salt; continue beating until firm, not stiff, peaks form.
- Fold carefully and thoroughly into cake batter.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake in lower third of oven for 55 minutes to 1 hour.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with icing sugar.
WOW! This was a real surprise. When I read the ingredients I thought it would probably be good, but I was not prepared for fantastic. I took this to a relatives house for a dinner and I sure wish I had made one for us, as we each just got a very small piece at the party. Everyone asked for the recipe. I will be making this next week for our family. Thanks for sharing a wonderful recipe.
WONDERFUL RECIPE!!! I am NOT a baker, but I made this to impress my Professional Chef hubby and it did the trick nicely. I took me a lot more prep time, but I am positive that is because I've never made a cake that didn't come from a box. I added 2 teaspoons ground Cardamon, some Jack Daniels soaked golden raisins (drained) and subbed heavy cream for milk (we like a dense cake) and fresh ground ginger. No one that has tasted this cake has had a negative thing to say about it. Not surprising, though, as it was recommended by KITTENCAL and everything I have ever tried that KITTENCAL posts or recommends turns out less than perfect! Thanks Evelyn and KITTENCAL!
YUMMMMMMM! for someone that makes cakes on a regular basis, I would have to say that this one is one of the better cakes I have made, it's buttery moist and rises high, the only change I made was I used half and half in place of milk, and increased the ginger, wonderful recipe Evelyn! ...thanks Kitten:)