Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
From “Cooking Light Way to Cook Vegetarian’’: Winter root vegetables lend their complementary, slightly sweet flavors to this hearty bowl. Stir in more water or broth if you prefer a thinner consistency.
- 29.58 ml olive oil, divided
- 591.47 ml yellow onions, chopped
- 709.77 ml about 1 pound parsnips, coarsely chopped
- 709.77 ml water
- 591.47 ml about 1 pound carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 (793.78 g) can sodium-free vegetable broth
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- 118.29 ml parsnip, cut into 1/8 inch slices
- 14.79 ml fresh chives, chopped
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, and cook 10 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add chopped parsnip, water, carrot and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 50 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes.
- Place half of carrot mixture in a blender; process until smooth. Pour pureed carrot mixture in a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining carrot mixture. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Heat remaining 5 teaspoons oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add parsnip slices; cook 5 minutes or until lightly browned, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle parsnip chips and chives over soup.