Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
From “Cooking Light Way to Cook Vegetarian’’: Winter root vegetables lend their complementary, slightly sweet flavors to this hearty bowl. Stir in more water or broth if you prefer a thinner consistency.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 1⁄2 cups yellow onions, chopped
- 3 cups about 1 pound parsnips, coarsely chopped
- 3 cups water
- 2 1⁄2 cups about 1 pound carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 (14 ounce) cans sodium-free vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup parsnip, cut into 1/8 inch slices
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, and cook 10 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add chopped parsnip, water, carrot and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 50 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes.
- Place half of carrot mixture in a blender; process until smooth. Pour pureed carrot mixture in a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining carrot mixture. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Heat remaining 5 teaspoons oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add parsnip slices; cook 5 minutes or until lightly browned, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle parsnip chips and chives over soup.