Prep 15 mins
Cook 11 hrs
A delicious, incredibly easy, elegant, and very nutritious soup. Can serve hot or cold. I make it weekly. Original recipe comes from Best Slow Cooker Recipes in Canada .
- 5 cups sliced and skinned carrots
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth or 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- salt and pepper
- Skin and cut into 1/4 inch rounds approximately 5 cups of carrots.
- Add to Slow Cooker.
- NOTE: a food processor can really speed the chopping in this recipe.
- Chop one onion finely and add to Cooker.
- Add broth and orange juice.
- Add optional ginger if desired- makes soup tangy.
- Heat on low for 10-11 hours or high for 4-6 hours.
- When carrots are tender, blend to a smooth consistency.
- Add whipping cream, s and stir until creamy.
- NOTE: Excellent first course or lunch with salad and roll.
Just a hint of orange is all you can taste of the juice. Very nice. I believe I'll use 1/2 cup of onion next time. IT’S A KEEPER.
This soup is really creamy and hearty. Another keeper to add to my collection. Thank you for sharing.
I really wanted to like this one. I did enjoy the first couple of bites, having never tasted Carrot soup before the flavor was interesting. But after the first couple of bites the onion got to be overwhelming. I didn't use a full onion and even some out during the last couple of hours of cooking but it was still too much. The last of the orange juice was very mild.
I won't be making this again. The flavor was just not to my taste.