Recipe by Missy Wombat
From Jenny Stacey's What's Cooking - Vegetarian. Not yet tried by myself, I have entered this recipe here for safekeeping as the picture looks fantastic and the recipe seems easy.
- 675 g carrots, cut into thin strips
- 1 leek, sliced
- 1 1⁄4 cups orange juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 2 teaspoons thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- fresh thyme sprig, to garnish
- orange rind, to garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 F/180°C.
- Cook the carrots and leek in boiling salted water for 5-6 minutes.
- Drain well and transfer to a hallow baking dish until required.
- Mix the orange juice, honey, garlic, mixed spice and thyme together and pour the mixture over the vegetables.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover the baking dish and cook in oven for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove the lid and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Garnish with fresh thyme sprigs and pieces of orange rind.
- Variation#1: Use 2 tsp cumin instead of mixed spice.
- Variation#2: Use lemon or limes instead of orange juice, and garnish with the appropriate rind.