Recipe by Norahs Girl
A lovely spicy soup Ideal for Winter with lots of warm crusty bread!
Top Review by Broadripplejen
AWESOME and soooooo easy!! I made this Vegan by using non-dairy butter, rice milk and veggie stock. I omitted the cream. I also used Yukon Gold potatoes instead of Russet since YGs are a smoother and creamier texture. I served it with a dollop of Grapeseed Oil Vegenaise and 3 orange supremes. It is DIVINE both hot and cold. Soooo creamy! I am so impressed with myself! Thanks Norahs Girl!
- 2 lbs fresh carrots, peeled
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons finely grated orange rind
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 large potatoes, diced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 6 sprigs celery leaves
- sea salt
- milled black pepper
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cornflour (for thickening)
- 3 cups home-made chicken stock
- 2 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat butter in a large, heavy-based saucepan until foaming.
- Add carrots, orange peel, cumin and remaining vegetables.
- Stir-fry for 2-5 minutes, then cover and cook very gently over low heat until all the vegetables are soft; 15-30 minutes, depending on size of chunks.
- Stir with a wooden spoon from time to time.
- Season with a little salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Sprinkle with cornflour and stir thoroughly.
- Gradually add first the chicken stock and then the milk, stirring constantly.
- Continue cooking, stirring, until the soup comes to the boil.
- Remove the saucepan from the stove, transfer the soup to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth.
- Return it to the saucepan and heat through.
- Stir in the cream and serve in heated soup bowls.