Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Sprouts Farmer's Market magazine (Jan/Feb, 08).
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pinch dried red pepper flakes
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 orange, juice and zest of
- salt and pepper
- crystallized ginger (to garnish)
- Heat empty soup pot over medium high for 30 seconds. Add olive oil, red pepper flakes, onion, and ginger. Quickly saute for 2-4 minutes, or until onion is translucent. Add carrots, potatoes, broth, water, thyme, and cardamom. Bring to boil; reduce heat and cook until carrots and potatoes are soft, 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Puree soup in blender until smooth. Add orange juice and zest; add salt and pepper to taste. Puree again, return to stove top, and heat through.
- Garnish with crystallized ginger.