Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Adopted from Recipezaar, February 2005. I have tried this recipe, and intended to alter it. However, as it seems to please some reviewers as is, I will leave it unchanged. I do think people who use this recipe should read the reviews first. I have included preparation and cooking times, but these are only guesses.
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 cups natural bran
- 3 carrots, 1c grated
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups skim milk or 1 1⁄2 cups orange juice
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- Blend flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and bran together in food processor, 4 to 5 seconds.
- Pour into large mixing bowl.
- Process carrots until pureed and add to dry ingredients.
- Process the eggs and oil for 2 - 3 seconds and add to bowl along with the milk, vinegar, honey, molasses, and raisins.
- Stir with a wooden spoon until just blended; do not overmix.
- Spoon the batter into paper-lined muffin tins and bake at 375F for 20 to 25 minute.
I made half the recipe and got 12 small muffins. They are moist. And they were in the oven 20 minutes. They're not too sweet, just perfect. I used only cinnamon, no nutmeg so I used more cinnamon. I didn't have natural bran so I used oatmeal bran. They have a great taste. And I can't taste the molasses. Thanks mianbao :) Made for your win in Bargain Basement tag game
Wow! These were moist and healthy-tasting. I veganized 'em and added some oats tossed with brown sugar and molasses to the top. I liked them plain and with the topping. Great on the go breakfast! AND a punch of veggies!!
very nice recipe-- the hint of nutmeg was great!!! easy to make, yummie and moist and freezes well. little one will love it too.