Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
This cookie was inspired by a vegan cookie that I would get at a farmers market on weekends. The cookies were HUGE, delicious, and only $2.50!
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄4 cups rolled oats (not instant)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 cup sugar-free maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until smooth. Add the egg, maple syrup and vanilla.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix until well blended.
- Drop the dough into 1/4 (or 1/3!) cup mounds about 3" apart on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 - 15 minutes, or until golden. Check after 10 minutes to avoid overbaking!
- Use a spatula to transfer slightly cooled cookies to a rack or plate.
These are really good! They smell like doughnuts while cooking. yum! I made a few changes in order to make them healthier:
1. I omitted the walnuts, but placed a pecan piece on each cookie before placing in oven.
2. I omitted the butter, and used 1/8 cup grapeseed oil.
3. I used 1 cup quick oats and 1/2 cup rolled oats.
4. Instead of maple syrup (which I'm sure would have been great, but I was out), I used honey and increased the amount to 1/4 cup.
5. Since there was no sugar in the recipe, I added 1/2 cup brown sugar.
Really good, healthy cookies.
Am getting ready to bake this with my own modification - it lists sugar in the prep but none in the ingredient list