Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Found this recipe in a Gold Medal "Lets Bake...muffins, cakes, bars & more" cookbook my DM had. Posting it for my DD who loves this recipe. This is really good served with Uncle Bill's Drunken Beans, or slathered with cream cheese. Also makes up well in muffins or mini loaves for gift giving.
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, shredded (approx 3 medium)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup nuts, coarsely chopped (optional)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom only of loaf pan.
- Mix carrots, sugar, oil and eggs in large bowl with spoon. Stir in remaining ingredients; pour into pan.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Loosen sides of loaf from pan; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely, about 2 hours, before slicing. Wrap tightly and store at room temperature up to 4 days, or refrigerate up to 10 days.
Quick and easy to put together, especially if you grind the carrots in the food processor and then add sugar, oil, and eggs and give it a whirl. I used 1/2 cups nuts and threw in a tablespoon of flax seeds for good measure. I'd add even more nuts next time. Lovely bread, nice flavor.