Recipe by healthybaker
Pssst, don't tell the kids....Sugar free / gluten free, flour free carrot muffins, it has almonds and pecans instead, it uses banana and honey, (only 1 tbsp) instead of sugar, a healthy treat. They keep for up to 3 days in the fridge or can be frozen.
- 250 g almond meal
- 1 teaspoon chia powder
- 1 teaspoon psyllium
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon five-spice seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 medium bananas, not overripe or 115 g bananas
- 1 medium apples or 100 g apples, cored
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 5 eggs or 300 g eggs, out of shell
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 400 g carrots, peeled
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 (250 g) container cream cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon stevia powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 100 g pecan pieces or 100 g walnut pieces, roughly chopped up
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Line 24 medium sized muffing tins with paper liners or spray tins with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl mix all the dry ingredients together, set aside.
- Use a food processor with the blade attachment.
- Brake the banana into pieces, chop the apple into chunks,chop the carrots into chunks, add the lemon juice the honey the oil;process till the carrots are finely chopped.
- Add the 5 eggs, process briefly to incorporate everything.
- Then add the dry mixture, only process till everything comes together,now add the raisins.
- Divide the mixture into prepared muffin tins.
- Bake at 160 C for about 20 - 30 minutes.
- To make the frosting.
- Soften the cream cheese and the butter for 20 seconds in the microwave,add the vanilla, stir together till smooth.
- Spread on cooled muffins, sprinkle chopped nuts on top.