Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
Make and share this Carrot Muffins on a Grid recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup moist plump currants
- 2⁄3 cup grated carrot, lightly packed
- 1⁄3 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup shredded coconut, preferably unsweetened
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon double-acting baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- warm maple syrup
- *If your currants are not moist and plump, place them in a heatproof bowl and pour boiling water over them; let steep for a minute, drain, turn out onto a paper towel and pat them dry; set aside.
- Toss together the carrots, pecans, coconut, and currants in a bowl; set aside.
- Preheat a waffle iron.
- Melt butter and reserve.
- In a bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and sugar together.
- In another bowl, beat the milk, eggs, and vanilla together using a whisk.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients; whisk until just combined.
- Stir in the carrot mixture; then mix in the melted butter.
- Lightly butter or spray the grids of the waffle iron; if needed, brush or spray the grids again only is subsequent waffles stick.
- Spoon about 1 cup batter (or whatever is recommended by your waffle iron maker) onto the grids.
- Use a metal spatula or wooden spoon to spread the batter almost to the edge.
- Close the lid and bake until browned and lightly crisped.
- Carefully turn the waffle over, turning it top to bottom and front to back, and continue to bake 1 minute or longer.
- *Before measuring out the batter for each new waffle, stir to redistribute the ingredients.
- Top with warmed maple syrup or honey.