1 hr 15 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup moist plump currants
- 2/3 cup grated carrot, lightly packed
- 1/3 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut, preferably unsweetened
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon double-acting baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- warm maple syrup
- 1*If your currants are not moist and plump, place them in a heatproof bowl and pour boiling water over them; let steep for a minute, drain, turn out onto a paper towel and pat them dry; set aside.
- 2Toss together the carrots, pecans, coconut, and currants in a bowl; set aside.
- 3Preheat a waffle iron.
- 4Melt butter and reserve.
- 5In a bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and sugar together.
- 6In another bowl, beat the milk, eggs, and vanilla together using a whisk.
- 7Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients; whisk until just combined.
- 8Stir in the carrot mixture; then mix in the melted butter.
- 9Lightly butter or spray the grids of the waffle iron; if needed, brush or spray the grids again only is subsequent waffles stick.
- 10Spoon about 1 cup batter (or whatever is recommended by your waffle iron maker) onto the grids.
- 11Use a metal spatula or wooden spoon to spread the batter almost to the edge.
- 12Close the lid and bake until browned and lightly crisped.
- 13Carefully turn the waffle over, turning it top to bottom and front to back, and continue to bake 1 minute or longer.
- 14*Before measuring out the batter for each new waffle, stir to redistribute the ingredients.
- 15Top with warmed maple syrup or honey.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carrot Muffins on a Grid
Serving Size: 1 (986 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 229.2
- Calories from Fat 97
- Total Fat 10.8 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 59.6 mg
- Sodium 207.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 11.0 g
- Protein 5.0 g