Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Simple no-fuss carrot muffins are adapted from Bon Appetit (August 1981).
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups oil
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts, optional
- 1⁄2 cup raisins, optional
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- Grease or prepare muffin pans with paper liners.
- Beat sugar and oil in bowl.
- Add eggs to bowl and blend well.
- In seperate bowl, sift dry ingredients (flour- salt).
- Stir dry ingredients into batter, blending well.
- Fold in carrots, nuts and raisins.
- Spoon batter into muffin tins, filling 2/3 full.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until tooth pick tests clean.
Very good muffins! My toddlers enjoyed them. I got 22 large muffins. Batter was rather heavy, but the muffins were light and fluffy. Easy, and quick to throw together at the last minute.
Excellent recipe! Easy to make and quite tasty. I halved the recipe but added an extra 1/2 cup of carrots. I also added about 1tsp cinnamon and several dashes of nutmeg. To make it lower fat, I substituted most of the oil with applesauce.
I want to ask..why does this recipe asks for Baking soda? Can anyone explain it to me.. Please and thank you