Recipe by Bianca M
A healthy snack or part of a breakfast. Sprinkle part of the toasted coconut on top before baking as a nice tasty garnish. Can use lemon juice (1/2 large lemon) instead of orange juice. If using the lemon, zest it for some added flavor and color. May use half parsnips/half carrots for a 'spicier' muffin. Shred the carrot with the large holes of a box grater.
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons orange juice (see description note)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded carrots (see description note)
- 1⁄2 cup ground walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Spread the coconut on a baking sheet and toast in oven for about 5 minutes. Set aside on counter.
- In a bowl, combine the sugar, oil, juice, vanilla, and eggs. Stir in the baking powder, baking soda, allspice, and salt. Add the flour and mix. Stir in the shredded carrots, walnuts, and most of the coconut.
- Oil a standard muffin tin and scoop the batter inches Bake for 25 minutes.