Prep 2 hrs
Cook 15 mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup light molasses
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup grated carrot
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups flour
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- In large bowl combine first eight ingredients.
- Add flour to make soft dough, turn out on floured surface, knead in enough flour to make moderately stiff dough knead 6-8 minutes.
- Place in greased bowl, grease top cover.
- Let raise til doubled in size about 1 hour.
- Punch down, divide into four parts.
- Let rest 10 minutes.
- Divide each part into 6 pieces, roll each into 10 inch rope, Shape into pretzels.
- place on greased baking sheets, Cover, let raise 30 minutes.
- Combine egg white with water, brush pretzels, bake 15 minutes or til golden brown.
Ok, this was my first attempt at making pretzels. Because of the other review and just looking at the recipe, I added about 1 tsp of cinnamon plus 1/4 tsp of a mixture of cimmamon, ginger and ground cloves.The dough was really easy to work with. The twisting into pretzels was also very easy. However, they grew lots while baking making my twisted pretzel shapes look more like buns (see photo). None the less, the result was incredibly delicious. They were moist yet oh so fluffy. Perhaps they weren't like chewy store bought soft pretzels? But I still REALLY enjoyed them and will definitely make them again! Since no temperature is listed, I baked them at 375F for a little less than 15 minutes.
These do not have much flavor. They are sort of like a whole wheat roll and not very pretzel-like. And it was a lot of work for the result. Not awful, but probably not something that I will try again.