Recipe by Queen Dana
Recipe by Sandy Lawrence published in Food & Wine April 2009. Food & Wine suggests pairing with "Round, silky Chardonnay: 2007 C. Donatiello Russian River Valley".
- 3⁄4 lb carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 navel orange, juice and zest of, zest removed in strips with a vegetable peeler
- 3 cups penne rigate (9 ounces)
- 3 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon tarragon, chopped
- fresh ground white pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a medium saucepan, combine the carrots with the zest and juice and 1/4 cup of water. Season with salt and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over moderate heat until the carrots are very soft, about 30 minutes. Discard the zest. Transfer the carrots and any liquid to a blender and puree until very smooth.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until al dente. Drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup of the cooking water.
- Return the pasta to the pot. Add the reserved water and the carrot puree and cook over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until the pasta is coated with a thickened sauce, about 5 minutes. Stir in three-fourths of the cheese and cook, stirring, until very creamy, 2 to 3 minutes longer. Stir in the tarragon and season with salt and white pepper.
- Transfer the pasta to a medium baking dish and top with the remaining cheese. Bake until the cheese is melted and lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.