Recipe by JenSmith
This is a different way to fix carrots! It's very tasty and savory, rather than the usual sweet dishes. It takes a little extra time to grate the carrots, but this dish is very easy to make, so it's worth it.
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground thyme or 1⁄4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 cup grated carrot (about 1 very large or 2 medium carrots)
- 1 cup cracker crumb
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 2 -3 slices bacon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the egg yolks, milk, salt and seasonings in a bowl and mix well.
- Stir in the grated carrots, cracker crumbs and onion.
- Beat the egg whites (make sure they are at room temperature!) and fold into the carrot mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a buttered casserole dish or 5x9x2-inch loaf pan.
- Lay the bacon strips over the top of the carrot mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until center is done and a wooden toothpick comes out clean.