Recipe by AmyJoV3
A thick, creamy and comforting soup perfect for a chilly autumn evening. It has a consistency similar to pea soup. This is a modified version of a recipe from a Quick & Healthy cookbook. (I will post the exact title when I have it in front of me - it's a good cookbook). This turned out much better than I expected -- it has a rich flavor.
Top Review by Alison J.
Pretty tasty, and really healthy! I added the lentils to cook with the carrots and celery, in order to blend them all in together. I thought the recipe required rather a lot of cumin, but by the time it was ready to eat, the flavours were really well blended together.
- 6 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup dried brown lentils
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cumin
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk (may substitute sour cream or cream for gluten-free version)
- black pepper or white pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place onion, garlic and cumin in a stock pot with 1/2 cup of the vegetable stock. Cook over medium-low heat until onion is soft and translucent.
- Add carrots and celery. Stir and cook for a 4-5 minutes (until coated with stock and somewhat soft).
- Add remaining 3 1/2 cups of vegetable stock (I like the low-sodium varieties) and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, then simmer over low heat for 20-30 minutes.
- When carrots are softened (easily pierced with a fork), scoop 1-2 cups of soup at a time into a blender or food processor.
- Blend until smooth, thick and creamy. Repeat until you have processed all the soup.
- Return blended soup into the stock pot and add lentils.
- Cook over low to medium-low heat for 20-30 minutes, until lentils are soft.
- Refrigerate at this point to serve later, or continue to the next step.
- Ladle into soup bowls and add a tablespoon of buttermilk (or cream or sour cream) to each serving. Stir.
- Add freshly ground pepper to taste, garnish with parsley or basil (if desired) and serve. You may also add parmesan cheese or other toppings that you like.
- Serve with a thick, crusty bread and a side salad.