1 hr 5 mins
A thick, creamy and comforting soup perfect for a chilly autumn evening. It has a consistency similar to pea soup. This is a modified version of a recipe from a Quick & Healthy cookbook. (I will post the exact title when I have it in front of me - it's a good cookbook). This turned out much better than I expected -- it has a rich flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 cup dried brown lentils
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cumin
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (may substitute sour cream or cream for gluten-free version)
- black pepper or white pepper
- 1Place onion, garlic and cumin in a stock pot with 1/2 cup of the vegetable stock. Cook over medium-low heat until onion is soft and translucent.
- 2Add carrots and celery. Stir and cook for a 4-5 minutes (until coated with stock and somewhat soft).
- 3Add remaining 3 1/2 cups of vegetable stock (I like the low-sodium varieties) and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, then simmer over low heat for 20-30 minutes.
- 4When carrots are softened (easily pierced with a fork), scoop 1-2 cups of soup at a time into a blender or food processor.
- 5Blend until smooth, thick and creamy. Repeat until you have processed all the soup.
- 6Return blended soup into the stock pot and add lentils.
- 7Cook over low to medium-low heat for 20-30 minutes, until lentils are soft.
- 8Refrigerate at this point to serve later, or continue to the next step.
- 9Ladle into soup bowls and add a tablespoon of buttermilk (or cream or sour cream) to each serving. Stir.
- 10Add freshly ground pepper to taste, garnish with parsley or basil (if desired) and serve. You may also add parmesan cheese or other toppings that you like.
- 11Serve with a thick, crusty bread and a side salad.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carrot & Lentil Soup
Serving Size: 1 (228 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 170.4
- Calories from Fat 12
- Total Fat 1.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 1.2 mg
- Sodium 131.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.4 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 9.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: