Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Great Vegetarian Soup. Copied from Diary of a Ladybird. I have also made with almonds instead of cashews and cream instead of yogurt. Very Nice Dish.
- 1 1⁄2 liters vegetable stock
- 750 g carrots, grated
- 185 g red lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup raw cashews
- 1 tablespoon madras curry paste
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped (leaves and stems)
- 1⁄2 cup yogurt
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring the stock to the boil in a large saucepan. Add the carrots and lentils, bring the mixture back to the boil, then cover and simmer over low heat for about 8 minutes, or until the carrot and lentils are soft.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a pan, add the onion and cashews and cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, or until the onion is soft and browned. Add the curry paste and cilantro and cook for a further minute, or until fragrant. Scrape the mixture into the carrot and lentil mixture.
- Blend the soup until very smooth. Then return to medium heat to warm it up before serving. Season to taste with salt and and pepper. Serve garnished with coriander and a dollop of yogurt.